Monday, April 16, 2012

Repent & Strengthen Your Families!!

Area - Sunnyside, Pretoria
Companion - Elder Foote
Letter #23

PRETORIA— Hello family! How are you? :D This week has been much better than last week and I got to finish it off by watching general conference!

Repent and strengthen your families and use the priesthood! Those were the two main things I learned from conference along with tons of other things of course. It seemed like almost every single speaker said something about the atonement and how we need to make use of it in our lives NOW. Along with that there were so many messages about strengthening our families. Our personal immediate family but also our ward family and world family. All of the messages were important like always but to me they sounded very much more urgent. Elder Jeffrey R.Holland in Saturday afternoon talking about repentance told us that it is never too late with his use of the parable of the eleventh hour workers but more importantly went on to say... IT IS GETTING LATE. Sketch business! Maybe they've always been this urgent and I've just never paid attention this much ha. I learned many things that I wish I had time to tell you about. At the beginning of conference I started to star all the ones that I liked the most...yep, I starred every single one for some reason or another. I liked them all so much and I don't even have one specific favorite but i'll share 2 more highlights. First: Elder Quentin L. Cook talked about strengthening our families and he said as parents, praying with children may be more important than any other example. Mom and Dad, good job ;) Second: Pres.Thomas S. Monson at the very end said, "I assure you that Heavenly Father is mindful of the challenges we face." Just think about that.... That's not him telling us in faith, that's him telling us because he and Heavenly Father have that close of a relationship and being a prophet of God HE CAN speak in Gods behalf. I can't wait to get the May Liahona and read these again! I might/most likely will buy the DVD's and watch them again.

And yes,it was a great week as well. We almost got back up to par in lessons taught and we had 12 people at church again! :D This week probably the best thing that happened was that we were able to meet with the bishop and ward mission leader. We are now being able to align our goals with the ward goals and be more effective in our duty to support the ward to which we are assigned. We now have opened the door od communication so that the bishop and other leaders in the ward know who we are teaching and who will be baptized well in advance of a baptism. Also some of the ward goals like less active work we are going to be helping with a lot more. We are even probably going to put a bigger emphasis on re-activation than finding new people to teach and baptize. There are a lot of less actives. I am enjoying mission so much and learning every day! I think every missionary says it but, Why couldn't I have paid more attention before?? Oh well, It's never too late ;) One last thing. This week is transfer week and Elder Foote and I were praying that I wouldn't get transferred. I'm not going anywhere tomorrow! :D It feels like only 2 weeks since he got here it's crazy how fast time is flying. Can you believe that I started college 1.5 years ago already?? and that I've been here for just under 5months??

It sounds like you guys had a great week! Lots of good things happening! Wish I could have heard mom sing! I'm so glad that you are all happy and doing great stuff. When I was at home I never realized how much fun stuff we did but now that I'm gone it's like Man, you do all this after I leave??? haha but it's not even true, it's just cause I'm not there.

Have a super awesome week! Let the Holy Spirit guide and Smile big!

Love you all!

-Elder Dirkmaat

No comments:

Post a Comment